The first step is to buy a clear, straight piece of Douglas fir for the spar.
The yardarm needs to be a little over 10′ long…this piece will be long enough.
If you go to my “A Sailing Rig for Gwragedd Annwn…The Mast” post, you can see how I make the jig.
Now, on to the Mast:
Fitting the mast step base.
I am going to add inspection ports to all of the buoyancy tanks.
From cruising experience, I decide to take out the forward inspection hatch and replace it with the deck box. This will give me greater access to the dry storage in the forward buoyancy tank.
Forward deck box being used as a cutting guide. I traced around the bottom of the box.
My wife bought the Trangia stove new almost 40 years ago. (and has used it on a lot of hiking trips since then!) Still works like a charm. Boils fast, simmers slow. A great stove. (You can still buy them from MEC…they do not offer the “kettle”option any longer but, you can order a kettle from the manufacturer) Now, I can take the thwart, flip it so the groove is on the top, put the stove in it and start cooking. The thwart will fit anywhere along the two buoyancy tanks.
I bought a old Elna sewing machine because it could sew through six layers of sailcloth from the jib.
I put eyelets every foot or so along the top edge. I kept the rope luff on the sail and sewed it to the top and foot of the sail. I guesstimated the curve to go against the yard.
Looks a little too long, I need to cut off some of the bottom or get a higher mast.
You can see in the photo where I have marked the centre of effort of the sail.
I still have to make a rudder for Gwragedd Annwn.
The streaks you see is the epoxy glue.
I fit the blank to the stern of Gwragedd Annwn, using the rudder pintles to fit the gudgeons to the transom of Gwragedd Annwn. The gudgeons are bolted to the transom. ( the pintles are bolted to the rudder as well)
I will tie the test leeboard to the gunnel to determine where Gwragedd Annwn’s centre of lateral resistance is and where the leeboards should go.
I now have enough done to take Gwragedd Annwn out for a test sail. Will she actually sail well?
I take all of the gear down to the Club, fit it to Gwragedd Annwn and out we go. I forget the camera and GPS. No bailer either. I row her out past the fishing pier and hoist the sail. There is between 5 and 10 kms of wind. I have a bit of a hard time hoisting the sail high enough to keep the luff tension tight. Will have to fix that…a two to one hoist? Theoretically Gwragedd Annwn has enough lateral resistance with her hull shape to sail without a centreboard or daggerboard or leeboards. I watch her stern wake….I can see that she is slipping to leeward. I attach the makeshift daggerboard and try again. This time there is no discernible drift visible in her wake. I move the makeshift leeboard forward and aft to find Gwragedd Annwn’s centre of lateral resistance…where the helm feels best balanced. She sails well, feels fast for the wind speed, and tacks easily. I feel that her rudder could be a little bigger. After an hour or so, I head back to HSC…The sailing test has been a total success!!!
Sadly no photos……
Based on the success of the sailing test, I am going to get a “real” sail made…Sadly, my local sailmaker has retired and his shop is closed. I look for lug sails on line and find that the Goat Island Skiff lug sail is almost the exact same size as my sail, probably within 5% or less. The sails are a deal! I order one from Duckworks in Port Townsend. Most likely will have to make a new taller mast and a longer yardarm. The centre of effort of the sail may be significantly different than my sail so I cannot fix my leeboards permanently. I will have to wait for the new sail, make a mast and yardarm to fit and re-determine where the leeboards should go.
There are things I can work on now…..
I will make the rudder blade bigger…Oh, yea, I have to make the leeboards too.
Between the two of them, there will be more surface area in the water than the cobbled-together leeboard I tested Gwragedd Annwn with.
I round the leading edge of the leeboards and taper the trailing edge about 4 to 1. Sand and varnish. (many times)
The rudder also needs a tiller extension, so I make one.
I have a tiller extension fitting from another boat. Tiller extension fitting in top centre of photo.
Everything is ready for another test fitting…I do not have the new sails yet, however, I can still do some test fitting…
I have to come up with a better attachment than this…I make a plan!
The rope (or could be a 3/8″ bolt) fits through the top of the support. It could be attached to a cleat on the support. I add an additional 3/4″ piece on the outboard side of the support. this will allow me to shape the support to allow the leeboard to parallel the keel and not the curve of the hull where the leeboards are. Again, this will depend on the test fitting.
I shape the leeboard supports and give them a coat of varnish, assemble the leeboards:
Hope to see you on the water soon,